Keep Moving Responsibly
The coronavirus has changed everyday life as we know it in Arlington. Now more than ever, we must try to keep a sense of community. BikeArlington is here to help you continue to bike safely by providing you with tools, resources, and updates to encourage you to keep on pedaling through these challenging times.
Learn More: Biking Options | Staying Safe | Resources
BIKING OPTIONS IN THE COMMUNITY
Biking is a great way to exercise, get some fresh air, and for essential workers to get to their destinations safely. See below for some updates on biking around Arlington County.
Trails Remain Open
As of March 23, 2020, Arlington County closed access to the parks, fields, playgrounds, but paved multi-use trails and hiking trails remain open with strict social distancing. Crossing through parks to get to a trail or non-park destinations is being allowed.
In response to the continuing public health emergency Capital Bikeshare will provide the following through May 31, 2020:
- Free 30-day memberships to essential workers in the DC Metropolitan Area.
- $1 Single Ride Passes for essential trips for all Capital Bikeshare users, in both the Capital Bikeshare and Lyft apps.
Learn more about this special promotion.
The Capital Bikeshare team is taking extra precautions to keep bikes clean and safe for people to ride.
- Bikes are being disinfected every time they are returned to the warehouse and cleaned again as staff return them to the stations, with high traffic stations being the primary focus.
- High contact surfaces of the bikes and vans used to support the bikes are cleaned at the start and end of shifts.
- Staff are wearing gloves when handling bikes.
Stay Safe While Biking
While biking, it’s important to take the necessary precautions to stay safe during this time. Follow these tips when you go for a ride:
- Use trails solo and during non-peak times.
- Maintain at least 6 feet between you and other trail users.
- Be courteous when passing.
- Ride on neighborhood streets where it is less crowded.
- Wash your hands before and after going outside.
- When using Capital Bikeshare, wash your hands with soap and water before and after touching the bike. If you can’t wash your hands, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content.
- Stay home and don’t ride if you’re feeling sick.