Keep Your Bike Secure!
The Arlington County Police Department can help you register your bicycle, report a theft and even help recover your bicycle if it is stolen. You can even report an abandoned bicycle by calling 703-228-4057.
Registering your bicycle with the Arlington County Police Department is not mandatory, but strongly recommended. A permanent record is maintained of each license issued by license number, serial number of the bicycle, and by name of the owner. There is no cost for registration and a decal is provided to affix to the bicycle. For those who want help if their bicycle is lost or stolen, visit the Arlington County Recovered Bicycle page.
Other tips include:
- The Arlington County Police Department strongly recommends the use of a U-lock due to larcenies of bikes using chains and cables.
- Lock your bike whenever it's not being ridden. Most stolen bikes are not locked up. Lock up even when in a garage or storage shed and lock the shed and garage doors. Always lock your bike to a solid object and double check to make sure your lock is closed.
- Away from home, choose a parking location visible to passersby, and for maximum theft protection use a U-type lock.
- For bicycles with quick-release wheels, lock both wheels and the frame to a secure structure.
- Remove easily detached items, such as packs, pumps and lights, before leaving a bicycle unattended.
- Use a high security lock to attach your bike to the rack and position your bike so that it is parallel to the street. Each U-shaped rack holds up to two bicycles, one per side.