Bike and Walk to School Day 2014
What is Bike and Walk to School Day??
This event encourages students to bike or walk to school while teaching them about the health and environmental benefits of biking and walking. It also helps to raise community awareness about the importance of bicycle and pedestrian safety education, safe routes to schools, well-maintained walkways, and traffic calming in our neighborhoods and around our schools.
This energizing event reminds parents and students alike of the simple joy of biking and walking to school while focusing attention on the importance of physical activity, air quality, safety, and bike-able, walkable communities.
WHEN: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 (morning)
Students will celebrate their “commute” and be greeted upon arrival on campus by school, Arlington Public Schools, and/or County representatives.
WHERE: Elementary, Middle and High Schools (in Arlington and across the country!)
WHO: Elementary, Middle, and High School students, families, teachers, staff, Arlington Public Schools officials, Arlington School Board members, Arlington County Board members, WalkArlington and BikeArlington staff, PTAs, community members, and the media.
WHY: The reasons are many and compelling.
• To enhance health
• To promote safer routes to school
• To build community
• To improve air quality and environmental awareness
• To earn goodies like reflective pedestrian wristbands, bike bells, and healthy refreshments!
PARTICIPATE: You can join the fun by biking or walking to school, but there are some other great ways to participate! Bike trains are a take on walking schools buses and offer a fun and safe way for children to bike to school in a group with adult supervision. They include a pre-planned route, adult chaperones, and often sign-in sheets with waiver forms. Bike trains require some planning and organization but can be a rewarding experience for all involved and they help promote a healthy lifestyle. Here are some helpful tips and guidelines to get you started from other areas in the US:
- Maine Safe Routes to School Program’s Bike Train Guide
- Atlanta Bicycle Coalition’s Guidelines for Bike Train “Engineers” and “Cabooses”
RESOURCES FOR SCHOOLS: Visit our handy online toolkit to help you get started with putting on a successful Bike and Walk to School Day event at your school!
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
• For general information, visit www.walkbiketoschool.org
• For information on walking to school, visit www.WalkArlington.com or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• For school-specific information, check with your individual school contact.