Capital Bikeshare Proposed Stations in Arlington
Arlington County has been hard at work bringing more Capital Bikeshare stations to the County. This map shows the existing and planned stations in Arlington.
NOTE: LOCATIONS MARKED ON THE PLANNING MAP ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
This planning map is our best effort to keep everyone updated on Arlington’s expansion of CaBi stations. Changes to the map may occur for a variety of reasons, such as a station location not being approved administratively, by a private property owner, or by the County Board. We will keep this map up-to-date, so check back.
The 2012 expansion was focused on the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor and added approximately 30 new stations.
The number of stations and neighborhoods in which they are to be located was determined through a first-of-its-kind public process for a bikeshare service called a Transit Development Plan, which the County undertook to determine how limited funds could be best used to serve our community. We would like your assistance again with helping us determine the exact location of each station within our neighborhoods.
We will be visiting civic associations using the schedule below to gain input from residents on proposed locations. Whether or not you are associated with your neighborhood civic association, we invite you to attend. We have a greater number of proposed station locations than we have stations which will help ensure we can remove unfavorable locations and adjust the station network such that a Capital Bikeshare station is always a short walk or bike ride away. An aerial and ground-level photo of each proposed station location, with the station footprint drawn in, is available for your better understanding of each location. We also encourage more location ideas from the public. Share your thoughts about the proposed locations, or add new ones, on the Crowdsourcing Map or email us at email@example.com.
Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting - 11/5/12 @ 7pm @ 2100 Clarendon Blvd
Arlington Pedestrian Advisory Committee Meeting - 9/12/12 @ 7pm @ 2100 Clarendon Blvd
Alcova Heights - 9/20/12 @ 7pm @ Arlington Baptist Church (714 S. Monroe St.)
Arlington Heights - 8/14/12 @ 7pm @ Patrick Henry Elementary (701 S. Highland St.)
Arlington Ridge - TBD
Barcroft - 9/6/12 @ 7:30pm @ Community House (800 S. Buchanan St.)
Buckingham - 11/19/12 @ 7:30pm @ Location TBD
Cherrydale - 11/14/12 @ 7:30pm @ Cherrydale Fire Dept. (3900 Lee Hwy.)
Columbia Heights - 10/8/12 @ 7pm @ Walter Reed Community Center (2909 16th St. S.)
Douglas Park - 9/18/12 @ 7:30pm @ Location TBD
Fairlington - 10/10/12 @ 7pm @ Fairlington Community Center (3308 S. Staff St.)
Foxcroft Heights - 9/10/12 @ 7:30pm @ Sheraton (900 S. Orme St.)
Long Branch Creek - 9/5/12 @ 7:30 @ Clubhouse at the Park at Arlington Ridge (1800 S. 26th St.)
Lyon Park - 11/14/12 @ 7:30pm @ Lyon Park Community Center (414 N. Fillmore St.)
Nauck - 10/1/12 @7:30pm @ Drew Elementary (3500 23rd St. S.)
Nauck Revitalization Organization - 9/12/12 @5:30pm @ Our Lady Queen of Peace Church (2700 19th St. S.)
Penrose - TBD
The Process for Station Selection
The process for creating a new Capital Bikeshare station is quite comprehensive. This explains some of the work that is done behind the scenes and the reason it can take some time before stations appear. Some of the steps include:
- Identifying and obtaining approvals (local and/or State) regarding funding for capital and operating costs.
- Selecting sites which meet a list of criteria, extensive staff research and review, public input, and final selection of locations.
- Surveying a site and developing a station plan.
- Researching property ownership and obtaining all necessary permits (use permit, site plan permit, license agreement, etc.). The site could be owned by Arlington County, the State of Virginia, or a private entity. Each scenario requires a different permitting process.
- Fabrication and delivering of bikes and stations. Stations and bikes are typically delivered 3 to 4 months after ordering.
- Installation of stations and bikes.
Physical Criteria for Station Locations
Criteria for station locations include:
- 4+ hours of direct sunlight daily;
- at least 11’ x 32’ of space;
- between 2 - 5 blocks (500' - 1,250') from the nearest station;
- if on a sidewalk, minimum pedestrian clearance of 6’ is needed;
- if on-street, preference for being adjacent or near a bike lane;
- flat ground;
- would not block utility access, such as a manhole cover; and
- would not create a dangerous situation for street users.
Suggest a New Station!
If you have station suggestions for Arlington or anywhere else in the region, please visit our Crowdsourcing map to make your station suggestions known. Thanks for your patience as we make the nation’s best and biggest bikesharing service even better!