Bicycle Friendly Business Program
Is your work place bike friendly? Would you like it to be?
If so, please pass this webpage on to your business representatives (Human Resources Manager, Property Manager, or a Facilities Manager), and give them the opportunity to learn how they can benefit from making it easy for employees and residents to bike to work and receive national recognition for doing so.
The League of American Bicyclists’ Bicycle Friendly Business (BFB) program nationally recognizes employer efforts to encourage a more bicycle-friendly atmosphere for employees and guests, such as providing secure bike parking or shower facilities. A BFB practices social responsibility by integrating bicycling into the business culture and giving employees the opportunity to be active stewards of their personal and environmental health through cycling.
Why be bike friendly?
- Healthy employees are hardworking, on-time employees who use less sick leave
- Reduces your company’s carbon footprint
- Supports a sustainable business plan and promotes a positive community impact
- Employers who appreciate workers’ personal needs have less employee turnover
- Supporting bike commuting is less expensive than an in-office fitness facility
- Healthier employees can reduce health insurance costs
- Bike commuting can be substituted for the gym, saving employees personal time
- Reduces your need for vehicle parking spaces
- Reduces your company’s fleet vehicle costs and taxi expenses
- Employees will see commuting as personal time to relax instead of
- Fit employees are more alert, more productive, and perform better
and more efficiently
Should my company apply?
Arlington County, through the efforts of Arlington Transportation Partners and BikeArlington, are available to provide assistance throughout the application process and will continue to work with awardees to implement bicycle friendly programs and practices. Organizations that do not yet meet the standards for a Bicycle Friendly Business award can also receive assistance in making improvements and preparations for future program designation.
Each company that applies will receive a FREE Bicycle Commuter Emergency Kit, which includes spare inner tubes, a pump, patch kit, tire levels, a multi-tool, reflective pant straps, water bottle, lights set and bike maps!
To find out more information on the Bicycle Friendly Business program visit www.bicyclefriendlybusiness.org and for assistance with the application, or any questions on the BFB program please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org